Friday, October 11, 2013

30 Days of Things The Make Me Happy, Day 4, National Coming Out Day Edition

Day 4: Support, in honor of the 20th annual National Coming Out Day

Today, of all days, is a great day to talk about support. I love this more than almost anything. To have people who support me, whether in my sexuality, my music, or just life in general, is a huge blessing. Encouragement and love from those around me in an incredible thing.

If you hadn't heard before, today is National Coming Out Day. Of all the days, today is a great one to show your support. Be sure to let those around you know that you are there for them, and that they are important to you. Support is a HUGE deal for anyone looking to come out, and the more support you show for them, the more they feel loved and cared for. Keep in mind that, amidst all the support, there is also a lot of condemnation and hatred. But I can assure you, support means a lot more than hatred. The more you love, the happier everyone will be. Yourself included.

I can honestly say that coming out was a struggle for me. Bad reactions, while what I expected, were still very hard. However,the support I had from friends and family FAR outweighed the hardships. They encouraged me to be who I am, and showed they were proud of the fact that I could be myself.

It takes a lot of work to get to the point where you're ready, and I think that the longer you wait, the harder it becomes.

So here's to support! One of the happiest things I have ever seen.

Love, Aaron Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment